RCU Forums - View Single Post - MosquitoBite "Robin" build
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 PM
blabberon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MosquitoBite "Robin" build

Doc,

The clevis attachment points on the flaps and ailerons are accessible but hopefully not needed once assembled. As for the attachments of the flap and aileron cables to the servos, yes, they will be fully accessible.

Now then……

Since I seem to be the one breaking ground on this build let me confess my mistakes so others can avoid them. Note: I am what I would call, an average builder (maybe I’m optimistic), smarter guys and gals will have enough foresight and wisdom to avoid these mistakes!

On page seven of the manual the instructions say “…after assembly of the aileron, cover the aileron with Ultracoat”.

Well, hey! I had not decided on what color Ultracoat to use so, I skipped that part.

Yesterday that decision came back to bite me because yesterday I temporarily taped the Ailerons in place, retracted the Flaps to 0 degrees, made a template of the chord length of the wing from the plans and set about trimming the wing to length. Simple. Constant chord. Nice and straight. Perfect!

I then removed the Ailerons and looked into covering them with Ultracoat (which I now have). In the process I discovered I had about an eighth of an inch “overhang” where the aileron hinges to the wing!! If I had finished and covered the Aileron when the manual recommended I would have noticed this and trimmed off the overhang before I “finished” the wing to length!

Now, with the ailerons trimmed to length, they are shorter than the flaps by an eighth of an inch! Now, I have to re-cut the flaps to the new shorter length or add to the ailerons trailing edge. Either way it isn’t much but…. Dang!

It has also become apparent it would be best to finish and Ultracoat the Flaps when they are assembled back there on Page 5!

My other mistake… I cut one flap actuator cable too short by an inch and a half! I had “assumed” (there’s that word again) both right and left flap cables would be the same length. Wrong! The flap and aileron servos are side by side, either side of the centerline and so one flap cable needs to be about an inch longer than the other.

I fixed my mistake by adding cable by using a brass sleeve and solder. That brass sleeve, now visible in the servo tray area, will serve as a permanent reminder to, “check, check and double check”!

Another interesting feature, which is not mentioned in the manual but noticeable on the plans, is the way the aileron cables attached to the aileron servo arms. I will have photos soon but be aware that there are (two) holes laser cut in Rib A and Rib B for the ailerons and (two) for the Flaps. They are labeled A 1 and A 2, F 1 and F 2. The Left Wing is 1. Right wing is 2. All this because the cables come into the servo tray “over and under” for the Ailerons and “forward and back” for the Flaps. The aileron servo uses two arms of a Dubro four arm servo arm. They are 90 degrees to each other facing forward; like a V. The left aileron attaches to the right arm. The right aileron attaches to the left arm! One to the topside of the servo arm and the other to the bottom side of the other servo arm. This way they won’t interfere with each other where they cross.

The end result is proportional ailerons! Cool!