RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

BLE - great retort but some may accuse you of covering up all that sissyness by building kits and rebuilding real engines and all, hahahahaahahaaa I still can start glow engines without using a starter motor or a chicken stick.

The fact is some people love the engine, the sound and the scent, can't blame them, its thrilling for sure. I remember when I organised a Fun Fly to a nice little town. We had like 30 flyers and I maidended my WM Super Chipmunk that was converted to EP. The night before I was getting it ready at the hotel meeting room, all my pals were helping me fix little bits and solder stuff. When we ran that 16x10 prop, the room was filled with the roar of the prop, everyone was shocked, me also as I have never had an EP that large.

The next day I maidened the plane, everyone stopped flying to see her go ... once she was airborne the heckling started "Hey there is no sound" ... "Dead stick!!!" They heckled out of jest but they did realise what the power of EP is nowadays. Once battery prices go down and they start not to bloat, many more will join in. Again, this will not see that much decline in glow/gas.