RCU Forums - View Single Post - Using a marine engine w/ a radiator
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using a marine engine w/ a radiator

I'll admit, the idea is not the most practical. In fact, I don't believe I'll ever try it, but the idea of it has constantly bugged me.

In regards to "massive" power...someone mentioned to me that if I wanted the most power from an r/c monster truck, and wasn't satisfied with the D30m STS motor, that marine engines make massive amounts of power more than their size in an air-cooled version. They actually said use a MAC big bore, like .40+.

A small radiator could be kept to a few ounces without water, and I don't see the pump and fan adding much more than a few ounces either. The water for the system will add the most weight, as well as a larger battery pack. I can't see weight increase going much over a pound if it even hits that.

A one pound addition in a 12lb monster truck is small potatos in a sense. Especially if that one pound addition comes with a multiple HP increase, wouldn't you say?

What is the .84 rated, like 6.8hp? That would rip a monster truck tranny to shreds. (Basically the kind of power which would make me happy.)