RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's try again DL-50
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's try again DL-50

This is my 2 cents:
This are powerfull engines, I really don't know the alliation of this alluminum mounts, but for shure is not aircraft quality (2024 or 7075 t6, most like it a 6061 that is comercially use and can be welded. 6061 is not structural and will brake without warning, in less you do a dye penetrant or eddy current inspection time to time. My sujestion is to use inexpesive nylon stand off, Lowe's sale them, and washer, I got my extra 300 and a friend of my use the same setup in a 30% Yak 54, and works great. I had a big accident last year 54 stiches in my left hand, because of a failiure and the engine came foward, I was lucky and no finger fly away. ( I can send pictures) this is a dangerous hobby, the better you secure this engines, less chanses for hospital visits.
You guys are right, the mount will break before the main mounts in the engine get damage in a crash with the stock mount, but if this break in a power up, and you are in front of the prop will be a disaster. my 2 cents. Happy flying.