RCU Forums - View Single Post - whats the ARF that started it all ????
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: whats the ARF that started it all ????

ORIGINAL: jrf

The old Lanier ARFs were just awful! No hardware, tank, wheels, etc. and nothing fit. The wing covering was hard plastic that would dent if you touched it and the fuselages started cracking before the first flight. They flew well though. (1960's and 70's)

The EZ line was very high quality, with reasonable scale looks, but the price was high and they were unrepairable. The cowls and wheel pants were colored plastic that almost never matched. (1970's and 80's)

Neither of these types were particularly easy or quick to assemble compared with modern ARFs.

The wooden ARFs covered with shelf paper that dominated the 1990's were generally considered disposable alternatives to a kit built model. They were cheap and you could have one in the air in a day or two, but they seldom lasted more than a season.

I think there were two important developments that brought ARF's to the level of acceptability they have today: 1) The use of iron-on covering and 2) Painted fiberglass cowls and wheel pants.

Looking back, I would say that the first modern ARFs came from World Models in the late 90's. My first one was a Rambler 30, followed soon after by a P-51.

And they keep getting better every year!

Jim

Mt Lanier Dart has 200+ flights on it, and while the plastic does crack, it can be reinforced with sign vinyl. The Dart is an awesome flying airplane! Fast as all get out.