RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thunder tiger ST-1
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:23 PM
RGX Blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

well had a chance to drive one, Compleatly "Box Stock Pro"
no practice, no time on the track, just put it together "Literaly" tossed it on the track! missed my first Qualifier, made the second,made like 5th or 6th overall??? and that was my "Practice" during the second Qualifier....!?!?!?!?!?!
and kicked butt in the Main, Vince Stolo (Losi Driver) and myself were getting hammered with back traffic getting tossed around but still
for me getting tossed from 3rd to 9th(closing on second)
back to 4th tossed to 10th back to 3rd in the end getting side swiped was an Acciedent from a driver falling on to the straightaway...and i got spun out trying to avoid it,ending up on my lid
and still comming back to take 4th in the "Pro" class....i can say the truck felt very stable
and most "Important" easy to drive....can be pushed simular to like the Mugen's when driven hard they respond well......

with no "modifications, no Upgrading diffs, no conversions, and parts fit were if one was assmebling an "X-Ray"....good parts fits and easy to understand directions......
but overall
Equipment used:
RGX body (of corse) Spektrum System on M8 radio,
RGX GX200 servos (200 oz. @ .09) stock tiger rims with Holeshots
and STS .28 motor (Stock) with RGX stainless Steel shoes.....
set up:
diffs front to rear, 5k,7k,4k , 2deg. Block (Included in kit! as well 1.5, 2.5,and a 3 block!!)
all related hop up's already Included!!! all carbon fiber (Thick parts)
shocks rear 50wt. (associated) front 40wt. (associated)
rear hubs "Centered"
Oh, and best of all "No E-Clips" ANYWHERE on the car nothing to lose,or pop off or have to modify to make sure they do not come off.....

all i can say is with "No Practice" this is what gets all of us when you first hit the track you wonder what the car will do???
this one held no Suprises....it felt pretty close to a "Mugen" if this can make sence?? but about 325.00 less....(depending where you shop??)
(after Leaving CEN i "Bought" a Mugen MBX-5T a good truck as well)

on the TTR ST-1 PRO
only thing i had to Adjust to my "Driving" was the brake Bias....during my first Qual. had a little too much front brake in stock settings for "Me".....
with it's new gear ratio's had "Killer Punch" with out using a "Insanely" huge spur gear.....
even with the "Stock" STS .28 i was able to come out of a corner sharper and clear Jumps a little easier than most....
now parts? some areas may not have a bunch??
only 4 places for "Me" here "Localy" to me within 15 to 20 miles sells parts for me?
(one shop is Just across the way now for us)

but if parts are a real Issue check your areas first? but can say if deciding to get your first "Race" Orintated race "platform truck" (Not a RTR, Ready to Run)
you might want to take a second look....as well if you did not mind getting parts "Online"
parts are Very VERY "Inexpensive" not Cheapy made ...."Inexpensive"

now with only a 5 minute Qualifier and a short main to "Figure out the car"
with all "Honesty" i would have to put this truck in the top 4 for Race Platforms
has steering without modifing "Knuckels or pillow balls" and plenty of rear traction without going over board to make it push......or not too much steering to make it loop in every corner...
example Jammin CRT Excelent truck....works well hadles great, parts Very Expensive!!
Kyosho ST (pro model) great truck as well....but the price may not be what some may like when buying there "First Truggy".....
Mugen MBX-5T best balance for typical aplications parts bout Middle of the road? but still on the upper end price side.
TTR ST-1 PRO pretty Simular to the Handling Mugen with the steering of a CRT, the design is much different but overall well balanced
and for example "Optional CNC parts" say for a rear Block there under 20.00 bucks depending where you shop.....