RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to make a Q500 wing??
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
StanDouglas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to make a Q500 wing??

This may be over kill, but I use Carbon Fiber Laminate, .014"x3/8" on my trailing edges. I trim away about 1/4" of the foam at the trailing edge and butt the laminate up against the foam after I have set it in the skin. To keep it from moving I tack it to the foam with CA. Then I do the skins either by bagging or with weights on the foam shells. I clamp the trailing edge of the wing skins with aluminum angle stock (1/16" thick 1/2"x3/4"x48" at Home Depot). One on the top of the trailing edge and one on the bottom with clothespins every 3 inches or so. After the wing sets up the trailing edge is absolutely straight. (I use scrap laminate to fill out the remaining 2" on each wing tip)

Now I can sand the trailing edge down to the laminate. The balsa sands way easier than the laminate and the edge is supper strong and if you carefully sand the laminate a little you can get it very sharp.

Laminate is from AeroSpace Composites CL2-41A around $6 for 2@48" length. Carbon fiber and kevlar is getting out of sight!

Stan