RCU Forums - View Single Post - Built it, now how to make it go?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
boatnogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Built it, now how to make it go?

thanks for the responses, but i have to clarify. the steel is thin galvanized. The boat weighs about 20 pounds out of the water, but doesnt displace much because of the styrofoam inside. it sits relatively high in the water and skims right over it, sitting about only 2 inches in the water. it is very stable, with 2 pvc pipes extending in the middle bottom of the hull, filled with ballast. it will not tip over, even if i bang the side down, she flips right up. it floats, it will always float because of the foam and enclosed pvc chamber. the steel is cut and riveted along the outside of the hull. the towers, guns and etc...are all riveted and soldered sheet steel. all of it is painted and coated and was galvanized to begin with so rust isnt really a problem. Like i said, she floats well and stable, and tracks straight ahead. it wont take too much power to get it moving because of the styrofoam filled hull.

I know, its wierd. Its a tinkerer's thing that im sure alot of you guys understand.

Im sure an electric boat motor, a brush motor will get her movin' but have never installed, from scratch, all of the gear that it entails. thats why i also mentioned to "tug" concept, of attaching a production unit to the bottom of the hull and just pushing her around with something like that.

I guess i mine as well go all the way and sink a motor in it. but i dont know how exactly. computer and etc... are there kits? Im lost now that the fabrication is over.

I was hoping you guys had an inside track on this but i see how you could not possibly know how to do it, since you havent an idea on the weight and etc...

hopefully this new info will help. If not, I may just need to figure it out.

I didnt go to the scale forum because those tend to be wood models and such, and this frankenstein thing might not fit well in there.

as you can see, im lost anyway. thanks guys for the responses