RCU Forums - View Single Post - Guillows
Thread: Guillows
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 AM
kirknkatie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Guillows

Ponchoyo, I would suggest you look at the weight of your plane. Granted, a brick will fly with a big enough engine, you want your plane to fly well. I would re-evaluate the weight cost of a tissue/dope covering. After doing some research I found Ultracote is one of the lightest inexpensive coverings to go with, you just have to be careful not to tighten it too much or it will crush your plane. If you still want tissue, you'll have to factor that in to the final assesment for motor battery esc combo. The whole power plant should be tailor made to suit the weight of your plane. Any LHS worth their salt could get you a setup that should work fine, if you give them a final plane weight. Once you find out what'll work on your plane, you can shop the market for good deals. That's the extent of my input on the power plant area, but on the plane as a whole, I would recommend (if you haven't already) reinforcing the stress points of the plane to ensure your plane has as many landings as it does takeoffs. The stuka wing design makes it kinda tough to reinforce, but for the most part, you want to add rigidity and strength to the main spar. If the landing gear attach to it, than you may also need to girth it up quite a bit. I've read a bit about supporting the nose area where you plan to install the motor, by adding balsa to the outer part of the fuselage, I'm not sure the cost in weight is worth the support though. Hope that helps, good luck, hope it flys.