RCU Forums - View Single Post - Large scale ultralights
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM
stewaustralia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Large scale ultralights

Hi John , yes you can do a lot with brake tubing, i first got the idea in 1988 when i got the contract to build a 32' long scale static model of the NASA space station for world EXPO 88 in Brisbane Australia. I needed a building method that was strong, light weight and easy to work with as i literally had thousands of joints to make. although you will be corect in the method of making a perfect joint , I never had the time in that project to prepare perfect welds so i just used flux coated silver solder of about 60 - 70% , bevaled all the jounts to iliminate gapes as best i could and wasnt to particular with the oxy acetaline acept to say that i kept the flame to a minimum - not much heat is reqired but it must be a pin point heat ie dont use a propane torch - use the smallest tip on the oxy and turn it down so the flame is only about 1/2 " long. I used the very same method to build my AIR BIKE and i have never had one joint fale in the thousands that i have done so i guess is what i am saying is that this is not complicated i have no background in welding what so ever so if you can do as John has sujested that is good for best results, if however you are like me and a master of no particular trade then dont get to hung up on finess, you can make a reasonably good weld without to much prep work or skill. Just make a weld and try to brake it, if the pipe bends first then it will be OK. Just remember silver solder runs very easly once up to melting temp so be carful with the flame, dont hold the flame on the job for to long at a time or the silver solder just runs away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13521.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	681807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20660.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	681808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58014.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.2 KB