RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stuffing tube lube nipples...
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuffing tube lube nipples...

Guys...

I've just gotten around to refurbishing my Dumas 'American Enterprise' hull, and found at least 6 layers of paint and two of waterproofing before I got to the wooden hull. Still have to get the last off, and may loose the waterline splash rails in the 'stripping' process.

Now I get to the hard part, working on the stuffing tubes. I do not know if they are bushed or bearing'd, but one of the former owners had installed grease nipples on the tubes. Now somewhere in its lifetime, one of the nipples got busted off flush with the stuffing tube, and I cannot find a 'bolt'on replacement. (can post pics if it helps)

I could in theory buy new nipples and the brass tubing to neck it down to the tubes that house the shafts (the prop thread is 4mm) but I'd have to crack the shafts loose from the hull. I was thinking of getting a hunk of brass drilled to slip over the tube, and drilled to accept the nipple, and fast-solder it ( or even J-B it) to the tubes. The external tube struts also need to be re-attached, either soldered or JB'd to the stuffing boxes.

I swear I saw someone selling a slip-on/bolt-on lube nipple (Graupner or Robbe perhaps?) but can't find it. Anyone able to assist? I ask as the bolt-ons may hemp me when I get to buying shafts for my Dumas PT 109 kit.

WhiteWolf McBride

(sorely tempted to pull the tubes and put in a pair of waterjet units)