RCU Forums - View Single Post - Industry ethics?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Industry ethics?

Obviously I cannot speak for all reviewers, but again, let's take the Mustang PTS since it is such a debated topic.

As I said, I prefer the Tiger II as a trainer.

Will I say that in a review? No.

Why not? Because I am not reviewing a Tiger II, I am reviewing a Mustang PTS.

In MY opinion, The Tiger is a better flying plane. However, once the Mustang has had all of the training wheels taken off, it is faster and more agile than a Tiger. So it has the capability of becoming a more advanced plane. The Tiger does not. So it is an unfair comparison.

So which is better? In this, and many cases, the only thing that makes one plane better than another is the opinion of the person who is buying/flying it.

I'm not going to tell you that plane "A" is better than plane "B" just as I am not going to tell you to buy a motorcycle instead of an SUV because I like the gas mileage of a motorcycle. Or because I like the wind in my face. That is why *I* like it, but maybe YOU hate getting bugs in your face.

Here's another example. Let's look at the Ford/Chevy thing. If I was a Chevy man and had to review a Ford, would it be a fair review if I let my opinion get in the way?

"Don't but this car because they don't use the same rocker arm assembly that Chevy uses"

So if I didn't like evolution engines (Just for the record, I do like them -I have 3 and they run flawlessly) Would it be fair for me to rip on the PTS because it came with an engine that I personally don't like? (Even though it's a good engine)

So here is a plane that says "You can learn to fly with a P-51"

Personally, I think they should have an asterisk after that statement that says "*With a qualified instructor"

And I said so in the review.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, here is the review:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=692

Dennis, You have the right idea. In fact, I think anyone getting involved should ask the LHS owner, "Do you fly?" and go to the field and ask others about him (I've seen fields where the members will flat-out tell you to "Avoid that SOB and his hobby shop" )

Gary, ANY company is going to promote their product in a good light. They are ALL in business to make money. Some do it ligit and others don't. The smart ones have good advertising and good products. But don't take any company's word at face value.

Look at Ron Popeil, He has made millions off of crap that people buy, use once and throw away. Does it do everything he claims? Yes. Does it work better than the way you've been doing it for years? No, but he made you BELIEVE it did.