RCU Forums - View Single Post - NON-DRAGANFLYER / OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 PM
BB_DF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NON-DRAGANFLYER / OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION

I ran the numbers on a spread sheet last night and it looks like you can build this rig for about $5K. Don't forget the engine maintenance reserve for any turbine engine. It can amount to quite a large hidden cost. The Wren engines are fairly sophisticated for their size, and I imagine they need to be torn down every couple hundred hours for compressor inspections and maintenance. As far as bang for the buck, you can't beat the Century Condor, Miniature Aircraft or JR Helicopters with Zenoah engines. However, the Joker is as smooth as a turbine. A big heli would be able to lift heavier gyro-stabilized cameras with zoom capabilities and stand off at a safe distance.

I ordered a T-Rex 600 from RC & Me to be built to our mission specifications, to use as a proof-of-concept tool. I've talked to Tim at RC&Me on the phone a few times, and also read a lot of good feedback about their business. I don't know how they can sell a whole system, built, flown and tested, plus the Spektrum DX, etc., for that price. I've seen DIY kit combos for $200 more than their built price. We plan to demo the T-Rex briefly at the SWAT training on July 19th (the SAVS will be the main player). We'll strap on a digital camera, the Oregon Scientific video cam, or something.