RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??
Old 06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

Membership status is irrelevant. You were flying, and had permission to do so.

The P-40 also had permission to fly.

As to the collision, the P-40, by your description, was flying essentially a constant course and speed. You on the other hand made a drastic change in course and speed with the vertical maneuver. Since you made the change in course and speed, it is your responsibility to ensure that the airspace you are maneuvering into is clear. Consequently, you were at fault. Had the situation been both planes flying constant course and speed from opposite ends of the field, fault would be equally shared.

Might I suggest that if you're going to be flying pattern maneuvers with multiple planes in the air, you really should employ a spotter to help you identify other planes. Talk with the spotter and announce your intended maneuvers before you make them. Allow them to help you identify if its unsafe.

I know that many flyers believe collisions in open air are an unavoidable risk, but I disagree with that mentality. I believe every pilot has a responsibility to everything in their power to avoid mid air collisions. For example, it would be good for clubs to adopt a standard practice that if two planes are approaching from opposite ends, the pilots should both break to the right to avoid collisions.

Brad