RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hanger 9 P-51 PTS
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 03:12 PM
dwilt72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 P-51 PTS

ORIGINAL: XTOL

The best thing for you to do is find your instructor first.
Ask him what he recommends. You will have much greater
success if you are flying something your instructor doesnt hate.

Mike Hammer
I agree. I have also started on the Super Cub and did TERRIBLE trying to fly it myself! Get with a club trainer. I have had one lesson with a trainer and it has made a world of difference. I just bought the Sig LT-40 and I'm going to put it together this weekend with my son-in-law who has been flying since he was a kid. I'm really excited about it!

From what I have seen on some of these posts, I would go with the LT-40, the Tower Trainer 40, the Hobbico Avistar or the Thunder Tiger 60 trainer. Ehobbies.com had a special a while back on the Thunder Tiger, but they have gone up on it (was under $300 for plane, engine and transmitter...a GREAT deal). These 4 planes seem to be the most popular. I picked a lot of brains and posted a few messages here before I made my decision.

My son-in-law had the Hangar 9 Mustang and it was a pretty sweet plane, but unfortunately he crashed it into a small pond and totalled it! [sm=cry_smile.gif] He has crashed it twice into the same pond and said it quit responding both times. Not sure what went wrong, but I'm not sure I would go with it and especially not as a first plane. I would use more of a standard trainer (high wing) and then graduate to the Mustang, but that's my opinion.

Whatever you do, you REALLY need to get with your local plane club and get setup with an instructor with a buddy box that can take over instantly when you have problems. Makes a WORLD of diffence!

Good Luck!