RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassed foam floats
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 11:54 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglassed foam floats

The floats are made of 3 laminations of 1" pink foam, because that is what I had. They were glued together and the profile was cut on a band saw. Then I angled the saw table and freehanded the V, knowing there would be a lot of sanding. If I was using 1.5" foam, I could have cut the profle and the V at once, but where do you get 1.5" pink or blue foam? Then I set up the fence and cut the sides. There was some sanding with 100 grit and some more with 220. They are almost ready for the fiberglass. It will be glassed similar to the method that McGuiver has in his gallery. Also, I am using some of the techniques outlined by Art's Hobby. Since the Ag-Cat is really a large slowflier, much of the strength a normal set of floats needs won't be necessary. It will have a 4 or 6 oz strip at the keel, with the bottom and top covered in 1.4 oz. Then I plan to cover the entire thing in .7 oz. Will this be to much? I will be using West Systems for everything. Here are a few pics. The near float is rough and the far one has been sanded. I'll have more pics as the project progresses.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60029_16591.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	37237