RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ok, what snaps a con rod!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 AM
j_blaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, what snaps a con rod!

Wow, I ported an rtr engine yesterday and it was screaming! It took about five minutes with the dremel, put it back together and the 21 was screaming like a 28, no joke. I will defineately be porting again in the very near future. Enough of the good stuff, Heres what happened: I was on my last run on the street with my truggy, I had installed some 1/8 on road buggy tires to not wear out my dirt tires, good idea right? It was, for about half a tank, until I was going to do one more high speed pass to make sure I was not too lean and check temps when the engine just stopped, no bog, no stutter nothing, just a quick stop. So I checked the temps, 248, I leaned it 1 hour and dropped it on the starter box. Won't turn over, so I try to manually turn it over and it is jammed. I thought it was flooded so I loosened the plug and nothing. Then my heart began beating, took her out, pooped off the backplate and woah! who put all these aluminum chunks in my engine? and wheres the other half of my con rod?

I'm guessing excessive rpm's from too lean engine with small tires on a smooth surface did the trick, is that right? I just want to verify with 100% accuracy so I know what not to do. I blew a con rod before during break in - left receiver off WOT - on a brand new engine but this one had about 3 gallons through it. Any feed back is greatly appreciated!