RCU Forums - View Single Post - (Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

ORIGINAL: vicman

More info on the cowl please. It looks great!
Thanks for the kind words. As far as cowl concepts, I opened a can of worms in the Aerodynamics forum so anyone interested in seeing my first attempt insulted should visit the two page thread. Lots of do's and dont's. Those guys know quite a lot about it.

As far as my construction method it is all balsa covered in glass and painted. I worked on it on and off for much of a day to get what I wanted. I started with the engine mounted in the plane. I started with very lite 3/32 balsa that was wet and wrapped it around the front half of the cylinder and extending to the rear. The front was also lite balsa with a hole for the carb intake and bent around the front to the back side of the nose ring where there is one of the two screws to hold it on. I kept adding on to get a snug fit around everything that needed covering. On the inside joints I put 1/4' tri stock so I could round the edges. On the outside at the base of the cylinder I used 1/4" tri stock that was wet and had small cuts on the front and back so it would wrap around the curve. Sand it, glass it and paint it. Covering would have been a real pain. It ended up weighing less then half an oz. and I could probably throw it across the room without any damage.

Is that what you wanted to know?