RCU Forums - View Single Post - How we are percieved by the public
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 09:01 PM
pinball-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How we are percieved by the public

I'm going to be a little blunt here. I've been on the hiring side of the desk quite a bit. Long list of skills don't give me much to work with. What I'm really looking for is achievement in a job similar to what I'm offering. After I know what you've achieved, I'm going to ask you what was your role on the team that did the achievement. I want the leader, or the "buck stops here" guy on the team. Even if I'm hiring for a junior role, I'm still looking for the same thing, just a smaller project.

So, how does the middle kind of guy get through, particularly if the job they do isn't project oriented? They have to express themselves in my language. If it's a system administrator, maybe they tell me that due to their leadership, there were absolutely zero outages last year, and what they did to achieve that (built in redundancy, etc). Or they came up with an innovative way to rotate tapes offsite that saved a ton of hassle.

In other words, I'm not interested in a list of skills on a resume, I'm interested in an interview in which it's obvious your skills have produced success in my field. I'm not interested in you telling me that you can do well in any job, you're that kind of person. You need to tell me what the variety of jobs you've had, and how you were successful in them.

Once I determine that you've achieved success, and I know I'm going to offer you a job, only then might I ask you what your hobbies are.