View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 PM
mocgp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is "Wood Glue" dead?

I was looking at a wood-working magazine recently in which one of the lead articles was a test of various glues. I think the list was Titebond, Titebond III, epoxy, horsehide, CA, and polyurethane (a.k.a. "Gorilla Glue"). The main part of the test was holding power but it also rated flexibility and sandability. The hands-down winner was the aliphatic. Titebond III came in first but the article noted that there was little, if any, difference between it and the plain vanilla Titebond. Gorilla Glue was way down the list, especially in holding power. CA's were rated OK but you don't really see a lot of that used in regular woodworking, at least not to the extent that we do with balsa.

My usual technique is to use CA on non-critical joints and fillet the joint with Titebond. If I need a stronger joint, it starts and ends with Titebond, and clamped if possible. I have tried Gorilla Glue but not enough to rate it. Seems strong enough but it can be difficult to get right due to the fact that one piece has to be moistened in order for it to work properly. How much water to use is a real hit-or-miss proposition.