RCU Forums - View Single Post - spray gun.
Thread: spray gun.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 02:08 AM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spray gun.

Ciccarello.

Sounds like everyone is on the right track here, with the detail or touch-up gun suggestion. However, there are some differences between the guns on the market that you might want to be aware of. But first, lets' assume you will be powering the gun with a compressor that is adequate to the task.
The HVLP deal is good to be aware of, but given the size pieces and volume of work that you anticipate doing, the benefits of a High Pressure/Low Volume gun are not crucial. That is, if a particular gun fits your needs and budget, don't be scared away because it isn't an HVLP.
The next big difference you will notice between guns may be gravity vs. siphon feed...That is the cup on top vs. on the bottom of the gun. I shoot daily with a gravity HVLP and do model plane shooting with a siphon gun. The only thing difference I can tell you about is that the top cup can be more awkward than a bottom cup in some situations. Of prime concern with the top cup is that you want to be sure to get a good lid-to-cup seal, otherwise paint may drip on your work surface. Seldom a problem, but it has happened. And, amomg the top feeders, a nylon cup is about as good as a metal cup. The matal cup cleans-up really well. The nylon attracts dried paint over time. If overtightened, the nylon tends to break along the upper outside edge of the lid. Also, as a matter of ease. it is much easier to handle the top feed if you have a rack to hold it on the table top while cleaning and filling the gun. You can't simply lay the gun down as it's contents will run out. An aggrevating feature if you don't have a table- top rack. They are about $15, or if you can weld, one can be built out of 3/16" welding rod. While you are building, do a couple. One for the paint area and one for the mixing area. The top feeders clean-up easily. At any rate, plan on equiping a top feed with some sort of rack.
As for the siphon feeds, all of the generic and name brand guns I'm familiar with will probubly do what you want, and do a good job of it. Mine is a Badger and is a bit more difficult to clean than my top feeders. It shoots at a little higher pressure and does not require a table- top rack to keep the gun upright. Among the siphon guns, you will notice a difference in the position of the air inlet tube. Most of the generic types have the inlet coupling at the top of the gun and projecting straight rearward. That feature makes the gun rather difficult to handle in a lot of positions. That can be delt with by using an eight foot length of neoprene hose, coupled between the gun and the main air hose. Makes a near perfect handling gun. The Badger's air tupe projects down at a rearward angle so the air hose is not a problem.
Another feature that you will find separating some guns is a built-in pressure regulator. It's handy to have the regulator right in the gun, especially if the air isn't properly regulated at the compressor. Or, when switching from one type of work-piece to another. If the gun you want doesn't have this feature, a small regulator can be added to the air tube coupling and will serve the purpose. I believe the cost is about $15 to $20 .
Lastly, the Badger has three sizes of needle/head assemblies available. Nice for adjusting from very small pieces to large scale wing panels.
Between the guns, I suppose my favorite is the siphon gun. In general, it is easier to "handle" and seems more natural in feel. That may simply be be a bias for what I've used for a long time.
Whichever gun you settle on, be satisfied that replacement parts will be available, and always Field-stip the gun after shooting. And always store your gun with a third cup of thinner in the cup, with the top screwed on. Guarantee that the next time you use the gun, no matter how clean you thought you had it, there will be paint from your last shoot in the cup. Good luck with your projects!