RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to?: Homemade floats for a .40 size hobbico superstar
Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to?: Homemade floats for a .40 size hobbico superstar

white and light foam works well so don't reinvent the wheel,
the designs shown are fine. way back in the day the club i was in made a bunch of floats for a winter project. they look a lot like the plans you have but here are some tips.

#1 build light
#2 we put the spline (hard wood or ply top piece) set into the foam by cutting a slot with thick copper wire and a solding gun and balsa sheeted over it...we used a 1/2" x 1/2" x 75% of length of hard wood this was nice and stiff and let us stay light every where else.
#3 sheet it so you get a shingle effect. do the top first with 1/16 or 1/32 balsa then do the bottom from the back forward.the bottom pieces should cover the side sheeting, balsa the back-bottom, epoxy in hard ply for the small piece that makes the step then thin (same thickness as other sheeting) ply for the front bottom this is need for wear and tear and be sure to go just past the step piece. cover with covoring of choice.

we used epoxy but i think carefully applied polyurathane would work well today... use the saddles to glue everything up in with plenty of wieght and have fun