RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tweaking Shuttle Z-TS
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 PM
ByronF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tweaking Shuttle Z-TS

Thanks Mrclueless and b0gh0s for the advice and assurances. I have double checked and the tail rotor does go counter clockwise when viewed from the right and the blades have been balanced and tracked to the best of my ability but I am still kinda new to this. Anyway put 3 more tanks thru it tonite and very little vibration issue
but the tail rotor still is stubborn until I push the throttle trim up past half way. I think I see what you mean about head speed, now that I have about 8 tanks of fuel thru it the engine is now starting to hold a nice idle and the main blades don't move either unless the trim is over halfway and even then they move slow enough I could stop them by hand.
I checked the belt tension and it seems ok. Got a chance to check the belt tension on another Shuttle and his was looser than mine. But I will keep an eye on it as I put more fuel thru it to see if it loosens up at all.
Tonite I also discovered why a small header tank is a good idea. Near the end of each hover flight the engine really came on and the change in head speed was quite noticeable. I mean really noticeable! The old Shuttle must have climbed 15ft in the blink of an eye. My guessing is that the low level in the tank combined with my unsteady back and forth hovering (thank heaven for HH gyros) introduced air which leaned the engine and caused the big boost in rpm. Gotta get me one of them just to stabilize the fuel flow.
Thanks again to both of you for your advice. If you have any other ideas I would appreciate hearing them.
Byron