RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCV replacement parts and service
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Flyer Freq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed in RCV replacement parts

***UPDATE***

I have recieved word from Bill, at BJ's Model Engine Service, that my engine is about ready. He has some tweaking to do, to get the idle a little lower. He was unable to put in a bushing, due to the extent of the damage, and had to replace the upper case half. I would just like to add, that I think RCV has wisely chosen their repair service provider. Bill Jensen appears to be a gentleman in every way possible, and I would not hesitate to use his services again! While the repair ended up costing me more than if I had purchased the parts myself, there is value in knowing that someone with real knowledge on these engines is making the repair for you. That is worth the additional money!

With that being said, I would like to add a few more comments on the RCV-CD engines. I hope no one will take these statements as bashing, as they are not intended that way. I only hope to offer a lesson to RCV current owners and future owners. This is a novelty engine, in my opinion. The engine develops adequate power, but on average, about 1000RPM less than its competition. I was aware of this when I bought it, so I am not complaining. The novelty of the design was worth it to me, at the time. One of the things that sold me on the engine was the fact that their were no valves to adjust, and no lifters or valve covers to get damaged in a crash. These idea's were presented to me, in my research, as bonuses. I am now wiser than that. Over the last 10 years, 4-stroke engines have quickly dominated our club. There are only two RCV engines, and the rest, ...well, I am sure you can imagine! We have a few Pro Bros, and you know what their favorite engines are. Anyway, to the point! I have witnessed a lot of crashes in the past 10 years. Many of them were very violent! You know how those Bro's are! their 3D flying puts their aircraft in harms way on every flight. As bad as the crashes have been, none of them came close to doing the damage that my crash did to my RCV 91CD. While I do feel that this is do to a weakness in design, I do believe that there is a way to reduce this weakness. Please don't think that this weakness is my opinion. I now know that this is common damage to these engines, from crashes ranging from landing gear failure, to spinning a plane in. It is my opinion that if you are going to fly this engine, you need to use a flex pipe or one of the swivel extensions, to allow your muffler to swing out of the way on impact. I think RCV should either supply these with their engines, or beaf up their engines around the exhaust port. I have a few other beaf's, but I will stop here, since this is what this thread was started for.

There is no more novelty left in this engine for me. I am not sure if I will use it, or sell it. I have no desire, at this time, to risk this kind of damage again! I am paying for this repair, not because I particularly want the engine back, but because Bill worked hard on this engine, and the man deserves to be paid!

I hope this post will be allowed to remain, and that users of this engine will take my advice on protecting their muffler connection. I also hope that RCV will look into strengthening the weakness in an otherwise neat and unique engine.

Andy