RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great plains RV-4
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 10:20 AM
eniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great plains RV-4

I built one last year, maiden flight was Jan 8th 2007, and it still flies like a dream, truly my favorite plane. Its now handled rain, snow, all the windy days and all the cramped rogue fields I've tried it in. After about 30 air-hours, I burned up my RCV58, so its now engineless. I think I let it lean a bit much when the fuel filter got clogged up...anyhow, I need a new engine for her.

The flaps are a must, it just makes everything gentler on the landings. The gear is a bit soft, but I'm still on the same provided set, I thank the flaps. The ABS parts are a bit of a pain, I handcarved the tips and just made do with the cowl. It took about a week of bondo, sand, bondo, sand until it was smoothed out. I fly from crappy fields so I skipped the wheel pants, and I think I'd just get the fiber sets for it anyhow, its the plane is too good for the ABS stuff.

I wish GP would come out with a 1/4 scale RV4 kit, I like to build, and I have so much pride in this rugged little bird I want to build a bigger one. The thing feels stiff even in the windiest conditions, and I have been able to get into the air and have fun on 25-30mph wind days, I don't know of any other model that would have allowed me to get away with that, and still slow down to land on a baseball diamond.

Anyhow, favorite bird, please build it, just so you have a handy, compact appliance like airplane. Fuel and go regardless of the weather, and still slow down gently for a nice scale landing.

eniac