RCU Forums - View Single Post - Slo-V
Thread: Slo-V
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 AM
gt5500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slo-V

ORIGINAL: tmackel

I never said the plane does not work in stock form. I few it with the stock battery and no upgrades until very recently. The plane is a great plane for $99.00. I guess where we have a difference of oppinion and not reading skills is that there are quite a few people I have met or read their comments on the boards that will agree that the Slo-V is not a beginner plane. It's about as good a plane and radio system you can get for $99.00. It is fun and I like it.....I just custom painted the replacement wing for mine. My point is that Park Flyers tend to be do-it-yourself types and will typically not join a club. Learn-by-doing. A plane that cannot handle wind well and is prone to stalling (due to pilot skill level), is really not the best plane to suggest to beginners to run out and buy when there are other far better chioces that will offer a smaller learning curve and fewer trips for replacement parts.

-Ted
No this is where my disagreement is, because once again you are saying that the slo-v is not a good beginner plane and yet I have already mentioned that I learned to fly mine without tuition, so if its no good how did I manage that? I am not saying its the best trainer plane out there, you mention a good point it does not like the wind which can limit flying time. As for it being stall prone as I said already this is only if you have the wing a too far forward, the cg needs to be a bit up front. The plane has a very nice easy stall, if you put in too much elevator (all beginners will whatever plane they fly) the nose will come up and then drop sharply but with only a fraction of up elevator it will recover within a couple of feet, many so called trainer planes will drop a wing and spiral or drop the nose so violently that it will take a lot of time to recover. Any plane unless it has a very high power to weight ratio will have limited climbing ability so unless the learner has an instructor they are going to find out about stalls the hard way whatever plane they fly. I think the biggest let down with the slo-v is the instruction manual if it gave better advice on setting the CG I am willing to bet that there would be a lot more people successfully flying them, I still don't understand how people are breaking so many parts? as said the only things I have broken are the motor mount (radio failure caused crash) and the undercarriage mount which was caused by a very hard newbie landing that would probably have broke even the strongest mounts, I have never broken the fuse.