RCU Forums - View Single Post - Monokote/Ultracote secrets
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote/Ultracote secrets

I would like to start a thread with Monokote/Oracover secrets that you have learned over the years. Hopefully these lessons can help newer builders. The idea is not to show how to cover but a trick or two that you learned. Keep it simple and short. I will start with a few examples.

1. Get the right tools. Sharp blades, a standard covering iron, trim iron and heat gun are all a must for a good covering job. Also an iron sock is a must if you dont want to scratch the finish.

2. Touch the covering as little as possible and use as little heat as possible. Also, dont use pressure, let the heat do the work.

3. Work in as large an area as possible, meaning, try to cover entire wing halves, fuses, etc with one piece and then add your accents on top. I find that the fewer pieces of covering the less places for wrinkles to appear at joints.

4. Use Oracover!

5. When shrinking down open bays with the heat gun shrink down the outside seams first and then work your way in. If not wrinkles can develop in the corners.

6. Clean your planes with a soft cotton rag and not paper towels. The paper towels will scratch your finish.

7. Cover from bottom to top and back to front.

8. When covering a wing, cover both sides before shrinking with the heat gun. Then when you shrink work on one side a little thin flip the wing and shrink the other side, constantly working back and forth. Never shrink an entire wing side by itself, the wing will warp... dont ask me how I know.

9. Be sure to put a damp paper towel or rag over seems when shrinking with the heat gun to keep the seams from pulling.

Add your tips... remember to keep them simple and short. I am sure we will all pick up something new.