RCU Forums - View Single Post - wish to cover and paint ...need help
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wish to cover and paint ...need help

I like the polyester dress lining for fabric attached with Minwax Polycryllic
It's cheep and easy to get.. Even Wal-Mart stocks the stuff.
Heck for my covering process Wal-Mart is almost a one stop covering shop.

There are a ton of threads on how to do it.. A search for Dress Liner, polycryllic or polyc will get you hours of reading.

The quick version is attach the fabric by brushing it on with polycryllic the same as you would a dope finish.

After it's all attached and dry do a full coat to soak the fabric and seal the edges.. let it dry. hit it with a heat gun to work out any wrinkles.
Don't go nuts with the heat.. you can burn a hole in it after awhile.

repeat for 2-3 coats to fill the weave and you still want the fabric look.. add a few more for a smooth finish..

Next go for your color coats.. On my stick I used rustolium flat forest green camo paint. 2 coats did the trick . Stripes were done with the 99 cent flat white and black rattle cans.

the final clear coat was Valspar Water Based exterior spar urethane.. It's fuel resistant after it dried for a week or two. Polyrylic is NOT fuel resistant.. You can wipe the stuff off with 15% glow fuel even after it's dried for 2 weeks.
I know.. I tried it..

Now by fuel resistant I mean clean up any exhaust residue within a few hours of flying or the clear will start to get tacky.

There are fuel proof clear coats but I haven't tried them yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88254.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	768833