RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8" and 1/32" Ply?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/8" and 1/32" Ply?

Watch it.

Back in May, there began a shortage of aircraft plywood. There is essentially zero manufacturers of fractional plywood now, for it is mostly made to metric standards in Finland and Russia now. I have also found via other sources, that the big red stamp may say one size, but get out the calipers, measure it, and it is actually yet another thickness. I had been told the Fin Birch five plywood was on some boat, coming to the USA, but somehow got lost en route.

Some plywood hit the vendors in late August. Yet others are expecting the early Sept. boat to arrive too. All internet vendors seem to advertise the material, but have zero on the shelf. I was shipped two out of ten sheets recently, and told to wait until end of October for the material to come in stock again.

The six by 24 sheet you found is of little value when parts are about 35 inches long. I drove over to Aircraft Spruce in Corona, and went through their stock of (Advertised) plywood. Found one red stamp on all their stock and it had same thickness noted on all sheets, but they were visably thicker and thinner. Someone sorted out the wood, but to be safe I measured it before buying.

Wm.