RCU Forums - View Single Post - A bit of help/4 Stroke....what did I Do?
Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of help/4 Stroke....what did I Do?

This is for all of you folks who have some experience with 4 strokes. I was just recently geraing up to test run my new out of the box Magnum 52 4 -stroke engine. Got everything ready, installed the prop, then noticed some stiffness when trying to rotate the prop. I thought this odd on a brand new motor, so I backed off and slowly tried to complete a revolution again. This culminated in the prop getting very tight as I tried to rotate it, then a sharp popping sound and it spinning free. No fuel lines were connected this was just a dry run so there was no hydro lock involved. Well, needless to say by this point I was concerned and removed the header, only to find one of the valves stuck....very stuck....compressed down onto its lifter spring and not moving. Long story short, some gentle persuasion with a small screwdriver after applying some lubricant, eventually freed the little #$%@#, and now both of them operate properly and freely....rocking away to their little hearts content as I spin the prop. Now my question....could turning this thing over with a valve stuck as it was, have damaged it? Im a bit concerned even though everything seems to be operating correctly now. I'm getting ready to bench run it tomorrow, but was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about...or look for? Thanks to all for any assistance.....I could send it in for repair/inspection....but if you guys think there is little chance of real harm having been done, I will run her.

ZZ.