RCU Forums - View Single Post - J3 cub, crash on take off nearly every time.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 AM
JPANN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J3 cub, crash on take off nearly every time.

Some of you know of this story somewhat from the post titled "the black hole", for others I will give a brief history. My friend and I started flying with electric trainers and the proceeded directly to glow engine warbirds, and after failing miserably we purchased 50 size J3 cubs (based mainly from suggestions by other posters on these message boards). I have flown mine several times with good sucsess infact, I have never crashed (and yes I am knocking on wood as we speek My friend on the other hand has had a real hard time, crashing every time. When he first showed me the completed plane I noticed that the stab and elevator were tilted about 1/8 inch or so compared to the wing level. I told him I was not sure what this would do and he needs to ask someone that knows more then I do. That did not happen, first flight rolled left on take-off and into the pavement. The fuse broke in half just behind the wing. He was ready to "quit and sell all of his stuff on e-bay" and I talked him out of that by saying it was a blessing in disguise because now he can fix the tilted tail and elevator seeing how the reason it was wrong was because the fuse was twisted to begin with. After fixing the cub he took off and flew for about 3-5 mins "landing" in a bean field. The flight was good but the operator was a little herky jerky with the controls hence landin in the beans. Bean field landings by the way are not too bad, very lttle damage done. Now every time he goes for a take off the plane rolls left and crashes. Outside of the one time mentioned above, he has crashed on take off. He keeps asking me to take it up for him just to see if it is the pilot that is the problem or the plane. The problem is that I realy do not want to crash his airplane. What should I do?