RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Kit?
Thread: What Kit?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Kit?

BUSA just came out with a 1/6 scale Pup. looks like a good electric conversion
I really don't know anyone who was dissatisfied with BUSA kits. For the dollar you get better than average quality wood and all the hardware you need.
Building from scratch? Hmmmmmm. I bet you will find out just how expensive it can really be.
I'm not disparaging scratch builders. I've even done it myself as it is more for the reward of doing it yourself. But, let's not kid ourselves, it can be just as expensive as buying a full blown kit, and maybe even more as you have to purchase onesies and twosies. Besides if you make a mistake in cutting, well, you have to start out all over again. If the kit manufacturer makes a mistake, it's usually on their dollar.
Buying a good kit from a reputable company can give a builder just as much satisfaction as scratch building. After all, you can still make changes and add scale detail to a kit.
A friend of mine who passed away a couple years ago, built the BUSA 1/4 scale Cub. He then built the correct scale bungee landing gear. After covering it with Sig Coverall and Randolph dope, it looked very scale, well almost as it had Saint Nick in the number two seat.
Good luck on whatever you decide and keep us posted.