RCU Forums - View Single Post - GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
JRexA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report

ORIGINAL: tam popo

JrexA - Jesper, Hello!! Yearh, I see what you mean by the struts, I picked my Slow Stick up yesterday 3pm and finished it at 6pm I put in some carbon struts instead of the white plasti one, a lot tougher now Wow, this thing is basic, its flying taken to bare basics, but thats good. If its a cosmetic looking plane you want, don't buy the SS. And if you eat beans don't go flying!!![>:] just need to maiden, put on stickers and clear tape etc and I'm ready.
The moth - motor sounded a bit rough and I found out why. The rear bearing had dropped out and was lying on the carpet. Had to rebuild the motor mount completely. Again, can't wait - weather not too good at moment.
My wife and I are intrigued!! There's so much we DON'T know about Greenland - don't even know the Capital, weather, distances, language, history etc - so much. Maybe when you have time just fill us in on wot its like there, job, family, travel, car, etc. Anyway, must finih this Slow Stick. Piccys ---
Hi Tam Popo.

Been busy for a change....

Here is a bit of stats/info about Greenland.
Area: 2166086 km^2 = 836330.48 miles^2
Ice Free Area: 410449 km^2 = 158475.24 miles^2
Distance (north to south) 2670 km = 1659.0611 miles
Longest Road: Aprox km. 100 (From Kangerslussuaq to the Inland Ice)

Main City: Nuuk, Nuuk Airport is located at: 64.2° N 51.7° W

Total population: aprox 56000 people
Population in Nuuk: aprox 16000 people.

Languages spoken: Greenlandic (Inuit) and Danish. The Inuit talking paople can talk with Inuits from Canada and Alaska.
Aprox 20% of the people up here are foreigners, Danes are the Major foreign group, with 95% of the foreigners.

There is NO roads between cities. Longest driving distance in Nuuk, without going VERY roundabout ways, is around 8 miles.
80 % of the cars up here are 4WD, but most people can walk to work in less than 20 minutes.

There is an active Model RC Flying club, and they have just started up with indoor flight, and that is why I am getting the Pico Moth and the Pico stick.
Outdoor flying season is around May-Sept. but often too windy. (Either virtually no wind, or 20 knots+)

You have to like hunting, fishing and sailing to live up here, there is NO way to get out of the city, except walking, sailing or flying.
Weapons laws are currently VERY loose, when it comes to Hunting firearms (No Age limit, No Waiting time, NO registration) but Pistols, revolvers and semi autos require a permit, that is impossible to get.

Cars are mostly imported from Denmark or from the US.

Politially, Greenland is part of Denmark, but has "Home Rule" and is NOT a member of the European Union.
We DON'T have VAT/sales tax up here. And Import taxes "only" on Cars, Snowscooters, Tobacco, Alcohol, Sodawater and Sugar.

There is a Maraton each year in Nuuk(August or september, don't rember the date), some say that it is the second hardest in the world. They say, that only the maraton on the Chinese Wall is tougher.
The Maraton course is km. 21 long, and is run twice. Runners start at aprox 10m above sea level, gets up to around 120 meters above the sea, and down to around 25 m above the sea, before returning to the starting point(Passing the same hills)
One of the hills is about 70-80 meters uphill in around 400 meters distance.

Nuuk is a modern city(town) where most anything can be found. some of the smaller villages (200 people or less) have only a single store, and maybe 6-10 hours sailing, if they want to go shopping, in a city with 3 shops.

Living costs are high. Pricing for houses in the interesting citties(where there are jobs to get) are very high.

I Like it up here, nice people, a feeling of SPACE, no trees to obstruct the view.
( I am from "Southern Denmark")