RCU Forums - View Single Post - Range of Spektrum's AR6100 Receiver (don't make the mistake I made)
Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Khatsalano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range of Spektrum's AR6100 Receiver (don't make the mistake I made)

This is a compilation of all the data I found on range issues with the AR6100 Receiver (and some related data on the other Spektrum receivers).

Hey all, I ran into some trouble recently with a lock-out as a result of range problems with my AR6100 and totalled my plane. No big deal, gots to keep the spirits up and repair by next weekend for flying! But I did do a lot of research that established by consensus that the AR6100 is a medium-ranged receiver. Spektrum/Horizon Hobbies does not state a range for their receivers but instead use vocabulary such as "Park" or "Reliable" or "Full Range" to describe their line of 2.4ghz receivers. In this thread, I'll compile some of the knowledge I found so that hopefully no one will make the same mistake as I did -- I installed an AR6100 receiver that was rated for "Park" flying into my Super Cub and I did indeed fly around a park. This park let me fly the plane comfortably about 700 ft away from me... which is the edge of the AR6100's range.

Of course, there are other issues we must also consider besides for range, such as strength of signal from the Tx, and line of sight/shadowing effects. A shadowed receiver antenna or antenna set can cause a lock-out and it takes anywhere from 7-15 seconds to reboot the AR6100 in my testing. This is why having the two-receiver systems is such a great way to get around the shadowing issue. But enough soft talk, here are some hard numbers for you all.

- K