RCU Forums - View Single Post - K&B .65 Sportster
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: K&B .65 Sportster

Hi guys...
I really like K & B engines. I've flown them for many years and I have many built up by C. Lee. I have run all the Sportster engines with good experience, and I have five Sportster .45's. I also have one K & B 1.00 aero engine.

I've one Sportster .45 that runs better the any racing .40 I've ever ran up against, and was so powerful...it truly surprised me...and K & B too...for they asked for me to send them the engine back for inspection...and I did. It still runs like its on fire and a good 1500 rpm faster then any other .45 sportster I have.

I found it takes time to break in the engines...and I do take my time to do this. Usually a good hour or longer. I use an all castor nitro fuel when I run them, and I use 20 to 22% oil in my fuel. For some reason these engines seem to like castor oil and I add oil to get 20% or a bit more in my fuel. I never use less then 18% castor oil.

The .65 seems to love larger props...and I wouldn't use any prop on this engine smaller then a 13 x 6. I have run three .65's over the years, and a have lots of good to say about my experience with these engines. Yes...they operate a bit different...but once you know what they need to run well, run like a dream.

I was trully surprised at the power of the K & B .48 and Twister .60 . I love my K & B .61 and though I've rebuilt it three times in the past 30 years, it still runs great, rock solid and with the Perry carb w/PDP...will idle so low, you have to see it to believe it. Mr. C. Lee builds/rebuilds my K & B engines, and after he does his magic...all my engines run like a fine Swiss watch.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui