RCU Forums - View Single Post - .60 P-36 Black Horse
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: .60 P-36 Black Horse

I believe i made mention of the stalling issue in my write up..I believe it's because this plane have a fairly sccurate to scale airfoil (it's just too bad they put the retracts in the wrong spot).
My recommendation to you is to apply full flaps at a higher altitude and practice making landings on an imaginary strip in the sky.
because this plane does stall at lower speeds, you'll need to fly her all the way onto the ground.
Once you feel comfortable with a minimum airspeed at a higher altitude, bring her in for the real thing.
As I prepare to land her, I lower flaps at mid-field on the downwind leg, (somewhere between 1/2-1/4 throttle ((G20ie engine w/ 3 blade 15" prop)), I turn base leg, then final and approach with a rather steep decent using throttle to manage this (mix elevator w/ your low thrttle setting if need-be), this keeps up the airspeed, then flair at about 10' past the end of the runway threashold...as I said, I'm still flying her with the throttle, and I don't bring her back to idle until the wheels atre on the ground.
this produces a safe and very scale-like landing.
Hope that helps. [8D]
FYI, I'd like to get the .90-1.20 size Spit as I assume it's built as well as the p-36...My only fear is that the landing gear is in the wrong spot again.
Let us know if you get one.