RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sherman Progress(Finished, just about)
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 06:37 AM
gww

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sherman Progress

ORIGINAL: YHR

It is pretty typical of Tamiya or Kyosho kits. Good instructions with lots of parts!!!!. If these bogies came all preassembled I would enjoy the kit more. I am not complaining, it is just a change that has come over me after years of modeling and getting older. We only have a finite amount of time, and I am not so sure I enjoying building bogies as much as detailing. Some of these steps are pretty tedious, but hey, it's a kit. Kits need to be built. No doubt it is a quality kit, and I am not going to slag it. It is just a different experience then the Heng Longs have been.

I am enjoying the build, and appreciate the engineering that went into this kit, but you know what, is is kind of like painting by numbers, compared to the Heng Long. With the Heng Long you fun out of the box and then have a blank piece of paper to re-engineer on your own. You just wing it an improvise as you go. That can be a lot of fun. This kit you follow the instructions and presto you have a very nice tank when you get finished.
Painting by numbers, never done that, but yes, I can see what you mean. I enjoy putting the Tamiya's together in much the same way I did with Airfix 2 shilling kits when I was a kid (just takes longer). I suppose the creative bit for me is getting it to the right version (detailing, as you said) and doing the reading/researching around to try to find out about those details/markings and so on. I do find that when I've built a kit, be it sherman or spitfire, I understand about the original somewhat better by the end. Sort of reverse dissection, if you like.
Regards
Geoff