RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making a Blizzard, with a Vortex
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making a Blizzard, with a Vortex

ORIGINAL: dadkins

I like the shield / theory and think it makes sence.
Is the air filter off of a car or did it come with the Vortex?

.. Gd Morn.No that`s not a Vortex part,but, it is now LOL.. It is for one of my Aircraft engines..But I`m sure the Creative person could find other alternatives from ???

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...srchvendor=BRU

.. Some theory,aside from the obvious, involved there also.It keeps the Snow out of course,But normally when you run any engine in colder temperatures .The Fuel mixture needs to be Richened to match the Denser Air .The engine is pulling in More air,so you need to add more fuel to the mix, to have a correct fuel to air ratio..With these EVOlution engines the Needles are Factory Pre-set, and The adjustment Range is limited with Needle Stops on the Carburator..So By adding the Air filter, I sort of "Choked" the Air intake and have Artificially Enrichened the Fuel mix..Without enrichening the Fuel mixture The Engine would be running Lean,(Hot) and Melt Down of the piston, is not too far away..What you see in the Video, is the Carburator needle settings Exactly how the Factory set them in Box Stock form..I`m confident That there`s a lot more Power lurking in that engine.I`ll go in,and get it out after a couple of Tanks of Fuel..There hasn`t been more than 3 ounces of Fuel, through that Engine to this point..I`m real eager to see this Boat run at its Full potential.

..There really isn`t much for information about this Vortex boat here in RCU( or anywhere)..So that led me to start this Thread originally about the Air Rudder question.But, the More I look this Boat over the more, that I see that can easily be done to improve it..Honestly, I don`t know very much about Airboats,I`m quickly learning that they are a lot of fun,and maybe a great way to break-in and test new Engines.You don`t have to worry about Busting up that nice airplane because of an unproven engine..So anyways, Here I am learning just like the rest of the members..I do have a pretty good Grip on Engines, and their control systems..So I can improve this Boat in those areas, that, I do know about,, and anything else for problems,I`m going to rely on the other Members here to Help me out with ,for answers..

..So today, I`m going to go to the Local Hobby Shop (100 mile Round trip) for odds and ends for a New Airboat build, that I`ve been thinking about,and later today, I`ll start to Documenting my findings, and Fixes for the Vortex .46" Airboat..I`m going to do it in a way that the Average person or a New Airboat enthusiast can follow along.. Hopefully it will help the Next guy decide if this is a Boat that they would like to buy for themselves ,and What to look out for, or Change..

OK..Have a Good One.I know I will,going to one of my Favourite places,THE HOBBY SHOP.Dave