RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine
Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Delrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Ok, read this entire thread and decided to build one. Found it for $300 at local shop who couldn't get rid of it so I took the plunge. From reading this thread, my entire goal for the project was to keep it as light as possible while using a gasoline setup and get the CG correct without adding any weight. It turned out better than I ever expected.

Specs as follows:

Fuji Imvac 43 EI-2
4 - Hitec 5625's on Elevator/Aileron
Single Hitec 5955TG on Rudder
JR ScanSelect Feather PCM 790 Receiver
Castle Creations 10 AMP Switching BEC set at 5.4 volts for Fuji ignition from A123 lead (new, weighs 11 grams!)
Single A123 2300 for EVERYTHING (4 leads from battery--2 to redundant switches for receiver, 1 to ignition from CC BEC, 1 balance lead to charge)
PT Carbon Prop 21 x 8
TBM Carbon Spinner
Graphtec Carbon Landing Gear and Tailwheel
PBG Carbon Wing Tube (30mm x 690mm)

To help with the CG, I used a single pull/pull 5955TG for the rudder mounted in the forward position of the stock tray. The A123 battery was mounted in the bay in front of the gas tank. I mounted the throttle servo in the engine bay and put a magnetic choke on the servo lead (to minimize interference).

The good news! All up weight, using stock spinner, gear, wingtube and tailwheel before mounting the carbon goodies is:

13.4 lbs weighed on a digital scale with +/- 0.1 lb accuracy!!!! Weighed it a dozen times to make sure I wasn't skewing the reading while balancing it on the scale. The CG is at the front of the recommended starting point. I know it's conservative from GP, and I can move the battery back next to/behind the tank to adjust.

I fully expect it to be 12 lbs, 14 ounces when I put on the carbon spinner, wingtube, and tailwheel as i will save 6 -8 ounces. I'll keep you posted.