RCU Forums - View Single Post - 11.1V Lipo for JR 10X transmitter??
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 11.1V Lipo for JR 10X transmitter??

I would not do it. The extra Voltage can put stress on the output transistor of the module as I understand it.

I personally would not do it. 2500mah nimh battery is plenty for 5-6 days plus of flying.

I can't speak for your specific situation as your radio is not the same as imported in the USA via Horizon Hobby. The US market is different and the specs on the systems meet different criteria based on the local countries regulations and so on.

The voltage is about 1 to 1.5V extra and this must be handled by the components in the TX. As an engineer I understand the limits and why limits are put on products. The systems are intended for use with 8cell nicd or nimh batteries. These at full charge are about 11-11.4V when they come off my chargers. SO adding in a 12.6V battery pack that stays at that voltage for a very long time is not good in my personal opinion.
Pushing the system outside its design limits could bite you in the rear. If you model is worth it to you to use a lipo on the TX then by all means enjoy. For my models I can charge my TX once a week when I'm flying 5-6 days a week. 2500mah is still 2500mah. I don't have to remove the pack from my TX to charge it and I can just plug it in a forget about it overnight. If needed it can be fast charged in about an hour to 90mins just like a lipo...so what is the advantage to a lipo?

Troy Newman