RCU Forums - View Single Post - SK 90-----WOW
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SK 90-----WOW

SK engines, even the ringed ones, have a tapered bore. All other ringed RC engines I know of have straight cylinders. Since the SKs are tapered, the Kangke techs told me to never, never run them rich. There is a break-in schedule in the instructions. As I recall, tank 1 is run at a rich 2-cycle, just after it breaks from 4-cycling. Tank 2 you open and close the needle valve from lean to rich every 10-15 seconds. Tank 3 you set at max rpm and back off 4 clicks, then you cycle the rpm from max to idle every 10-15 secs. Tank 4 is a full power run at max less 4 clicks. On tank 5 you set the idle, then run the rest of the tank out. They will also need a gallon or so of rich 2-cycle running in the air. Expect them to get better for 3 gallons. Sort of like a Saito. (At least mine) I have done 3 SK engines this way and all have run great.

I really like the SK carb. Before I go on, I never mess with the factory low end setting until after I run the break-in. Nearly every engine will run in a rich idle at the factory setting.

As I said, I like the SK 90 carb. I bought a Tower .75 and it had a very rich mid range. I could set the low end to idle for a long time, but the mid was terrible. I dropped on an SK 90 carb and the Tower ran perfectly. Tower did send me a new carb which works fine.

A buddy asked me to check his Evo .61 since the carb wouldn't adjust. I tried it on my bench and it must have an O-ring leak or something because it wouldn't hold a low end setting. Just for grins, I dropped the SK 90 carb on it. The throat diameters are the same. Ran perfectly. I am really impressed with the SK 90 carb.

SK 90s are designed for torque and not high rpm. A 14-6 will normally not run well. The transfer ports aren't large enough to pass the needed fuel for high rpm.

Yep, it's got anhedral!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41620.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	872875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38129.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	872876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25562.jpg
Views:	2