RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)
Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

ORIGINAL: LlamaFragments

Hellozzzzz, I haven't posted for a while. I don't have pictures yet, but I made the booms and the horizontal stabilizers tonight. They are alright. I got my radio and servos yesterday and I'll have motor/battery/ESC soon.

Question: what gauge wire do you use for the aileron control links?
Good to hear. I use 2-56 fully threaded control rods for all my builds. It beats solder clevises or buying and using a Z-bender with piano wire. Just thread some nylon clevises on your control rod that is cut down to the length you want and you're all done. Couldn't be easier, and it allows you to adjust it if need be. Z-bender tools and thin wire aren't needed unless you are doing a really small and light build like a front yard flyer or something. Solder clevises are a disaster waiting to happen. I have pretty good soldering skills and yet I lost a Stryker on it's maiden due to those things.

I'll be fishing off So #4's build tonight. As said, I flew it a few weeks back but it was quickly made flight able by taping on the wires and such. I've got it really done well now with sunk wires, shorter nose, etc. I've been taking pictures and will be throwing up the rest of the build steps and such to go along with what you saw starting on page one. Final dimensions as well. I think the fuse turned out to be about 21 and a half inches long, but remember my motor is over the wing.

Can't stress how great these HXT900 servos are for only $4. They'll work with most park flyers from small to rather large. Only time I'll go bigger now is for elevator and maybe ailerons on a build with about a 4 foot wingspan or larger.

Check out this link...A free build plan for the OV-10 Bronco made from depron. Fits well into the theme of this thread since it's a similar looking plane...

http://www.hammermodels.com/Download.html
d