RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread
Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

Great answer, Pappy. You want to use the milled fibers in the wing spar case. I'd suggest 60-minute epoxy, so you can heat it up a bit to get it to flow more viscously. It's very important that you make sure there aren't large air bubbles trapped in that slot. It's also important that you get some of that epoxy/fibres mix into the lightening holes in the spar. Do it right, and you'll have NO problems with that spar system.

Wait, didn't your plane come with the wings already done??

nope, those wings were damaged in a landing accident by a previous owner, so i've got a new set to build that has the carbon reinforcement between the foam and balsa skin. Ok, i've got a good bit of 5oz and 2oz glass cloth floating around. can i cut small strips (1/2" to 1" wide) of the 5oz cloth and seperate the glass strands from each other to get a "milled fibers" type material? Reason i ask, is the places i've found that sell the stuff only sell it in 3lb tubs (or similar sizes) for $80 and i hate buying that much when i'll probly use 1/10 of a pound.