RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier 94" Yak help
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 94" Yak help

For a plane this size and weight, the DA-85 is a great choice. Other engines are good as well but do not provide all the advantages of the DA (power to weight). The ZDZ Super 80 is powerful as well but requires some knowledge to operate.

Dual RX is absolutely not necessary on DSM2 and if you feel concerned, you might want to try the new Spektrum AR9100 with 4 remote antennas. This RX comes with a safety switch and also removes the necessity for regulators, as long as you use Hitec servos (HS5955) that can take 7.2 or 7.4 volts. So in fact, you save the weight and cost of two HD switches and two regulators.

I agree with you that these are well built, well covered and not that heavy. Their bad rep comes from Lanier's mistake of specifying engines that were originally at the bottom end of the required power. Hardware on the one I had was not great and I ended up replacing most of it. There is also some need to beef up the landing gear plate.

ORIGINAL: DA3

Hello all, Well I have been flying electric & nitro aircraft for some time now, and just been itching to get in to the larger scales. I finally bit the bullet today and got the Lanier 94" Yak 54 80cc. The last one the local hobby shop had. From what I understand this was one of Lanier s newer realeases, before Great Planes bought them out. I was extreme impressed with the weight of the yak , it is very light and very well built, all the flight controls are prehinged and it has a beautifully done color scheme. Since there are not that many around I am having trouble finding information on them. As I am new to gaint scale aircraft I was hoping I could get some advice. I was thinking a DA 85, 3W 80, or ZDZ 80 for the engine, but not sure which one is best. I was also wondering about RX/TX systems, dual RX, 2.4 Gh I wanna make sure I don't lose control of such a big investment. Any advice help s.

Thanks,
Don