RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

I think the main thing to keep in mind is learning how to "feel" where the servo's are supposed to be intially. You want to be sure you have plenty of depth in the foam, so find the high spot on your airfoil, and you can go one of two ways to mount it. One is to simply cut out or melt a cavity to allow the servo to sink into it, hit it with some hot glue and it's mounted in place, another is to create that cavity, then glue some light ply along the area where you are going to screw in the servo to the wing. This allows them to be removable. From there, cut your pushrod stock, I prefer a z bends to connect to the control horn, and ez connects for connecting to the control arm, this allows for easy adjustment in in that area. Once you have everything lined up and connected, mark the area where you are going to mount your control horn, cut away any material needed and mount it to the aileron. Make sure your ez connector is not secured down, once you power up your plane, see if the servo is centered, if not, you can remove the control arm from the servo, put it in the proper area and mount and secure it all back down again. You are basically doing the same thing for the elevator control as well.

If you are going with two ailerons, you'll of course need a y cable, but it's the same process on both sides. The idea behind this plane is to break you out of preconcieved designs and patterns, to make you think and innovate on your own, after a while, you will be applying this to all planes that you own and it's quite rare I'll leave any plane stock per the manufactures reccomendations, I want things to work optimumly, not just good enough for the masses.