View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quadra 52 won't run under 3500 HELP

ORIGINAL: AirTech

Jim,

Hang in there buddy and give me some time to consult with a couple of experts on these brand engine. For better assistance could you send me the S/N if there is one stamped on the case.

You say this was a brand new engine when you bough it. Taking in consideration that it's quite hard to start there is the possibility the pump diaphragm may be too hard from lack of use, but that is just my best guess.

After I talk to my friends I'll send you mail.

I changed the pump diaphragm and it had no effect. I agree with you it really takes excessive starting to get it to run. Only with add on choke will it run.

I did have a brain dump today and found B&B still warranties and sells Quadra. I called them just to see if they had carb parts or what carb they were using. Spoke to Dick Bennett owner. He wanted to know if I bought it from him,, I told him local hobby shop and engine was new but didn't have papers. We discussed all the issues and he reco. send it to them as they had some issues with Walb carbs. I told him mine was Zama and he said he never had an issue with them but to send it to him for a look and test run. Since this really is a new engine just been in the box for a while I sent it to him to see what he can do. I have never touched the engine only the carb and he will see it is a "new" engine as the exhaust isn't even blackened yet.

So I am still interested with what the "brain trust" might come up with for options as this story continues. Considering I actually paid the LHS close to $500 for this engine I would hate to sell it on ebay for $75. I would expect it to run. But if I get it back and still have a problem I'll take more action to see if it will run properly. It is a very solid engine just can't imagine it won't idle down. Dick did say he recommended a 20x10 prop and I have been running 18,, but that should not kill the engine at 3100 rpm. I suppose you can read the frustration on this Quadra. Let me know what the brain trust recommends. Sorry I didn't get the SS # before I sent in this morning. Jim