RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC DRIFTING
Thread: RC DRIFTING
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC DRIFTING

brushless motors in my opinion are way better in terms of durability, I am not 100% positive but I also believe that the brushless motors use lest power to run which will result in longer run times on batteries....

as far as motor's go it also depends on what type of surface you will be driving on, and they type of tires you will be running on

its not a matter of just find the lowest or highest number you can get.. the same as not being able to drift because your motor doesn't have enough torque, having too much torque can also result in a car that just spins in place and has too touchy of a motor to control...

I looked these up a few minutes ago.. google is your friend...

Can you explain winds?

Winds of "Double," "Triple," or Quad" refers to the number of strands of wire wound around the armature, double being two strands, triple being three, quad being four, and quint being five. The type of wind is for fine tuning your motor's power band. In general, winds with fewer wires give the impression of kick-starting your wheels, while the winds with more wires will bring you up to top end speed more slowly.
If you have a very slick track, then winds like single and double may cause your wheels to spin; other winds--triple, quad, quint--may give your car better traction. In addition, the less turns of wire, the less run time you will have, because fewer wires will draw more power from your batteries.
The performance gains by changing the type of wind is subjective and may be noticed only by experienced racers with vehicles that respond well

Turns explained
Turns refers to the number of times the wire was wound around each armature arm. The fewer the turns, the higher the rpm (revolutions per minute), or top end speed (the highest speed attainable by that motor). So, if you wish the fastest motor, choose a motor with the fewest number of turns. Keep in mind that the fewer the turns, the greater the battery draw, which means lesser run time.