RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Skylark 70 build..errr.. assembly
Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Skylark 70 build..errr.. assembly

I have been in the process of putting together a Seagull Super Star 120 recently, but got a bit leary with this plane because of its size and the engine I was using, an OS 1.60 FX engine. The largest I've used is the OS 1.20 AX, of which I have three of them. But this 1.60 sort of scares me. So, I decided to put it aside for a while until I get back into things this upcoming season. I just couldn't see myself trying to maiden this thing after not having flown for three or so months (except for yesterday and the results of that are in the crash forum.. [] )

Anyway, I read the review by Minnflyer about the Skylark 70. I had a Skylark 56, in fact, one in 1977 and again in 1999/2000 timeframe. I wanted a project for this season so I decided that the Skylark 70 was the plane for me, and off to the LHS I went. Oh my, he had one in stock!!

I started the build.... err.. for you true kit people, I will say assemble because, after all, this is an ARF .

I encountered a few issues. The hole in the fuselage for the fuel tank was in the wrong spot. It was to high. When I put the tank in where it belonged, I could not close the hatch cover over the tank. The firewall hole was to high. I have a posting in the manufacturers support forum about this. I got one decent reply from "Rick", I certainly appreciate that, Rick, but nothing heard from the so-called support people, and the answer I got from Goldberg was, well, lacking.. however, I followed their lead and elongated the hole in the firewall to accomodate the tank. But, it goes further than that. I had to install some cross support so that the tank would be straight and also provided me a means to secure the tank. Had the hole been in the right spot, I imagine I would have had to do something to support the tank, so that was my idea to add the support.

I also added a little platform to put foam rubber under and behind the tank, then a small piece on the top of the tank. I was thinking of putting some RTV compound to fill in the large hole that remains when the tank is placed in the elongated hole in the firewall. That fixed that.

Meanwhile, the rest of the bui...oops.. assembly went well. When finished, and I finished it last evening, it looked very nice. I put the canope on and taped it to set up the canope glue and looked at it this moring before heading to work. It really looks nice.

A quick check of the CG, and this was a bit of a disappointment for me, showed that I will need about 8 ounces of nose weight to make the CG. I was hoping that it would balance without it as my Protege did. By the way, my engine of choice is the new OS 75 AX. I have one on my Protege and I love it. And the OS 1.20 AX's I have are true performers as well as being the easiest engines to start I've ever had.

So, besides doing a 'formal' CG check, it's ready to maiden. I will do this as soon as the weather cooperates. I won't bring it out in conditions like yesterday, there are to many unknowns to fly it in that sort of wind. So, it will sit there, with me looking at and admiring it, until the weather is right.

Overall, I would give this model a 9.2 out of 10. Not bad. Goldberg support.. a 5.9 out of 10. Yeah, I know, Goldberg is now Great Planes. I have no complaints about the reply timing, they replied quickly to my request for help. But the only answer they could give me was to elongate the hole in the firewall. Poor quality control.

It is a nice looking model, and if it flys as good as the other Goldberg's I've owned, well, it should be a fun flyer. As I said, the only complaint I have is with Goldberg support. I had issues with them when I buil... oops.. assembled.. my Goldberg Tiger 120 (some of you may recall that I needed over a pound of lead in the nose to make that one meet the CG requirements, not good, and Goldberg had nothing to say about that).

So, as far as Goldberg models is concerned, I've owned a Tiger 60, two Skylark 56's, one Wildstick 40, one Tiger 120, one Progege, and now one Skylark 70. They all flew great, by the way, well all but the Skylark 70, but I have high hopes for that one.

CGr.