RCU Forums - View Single Post - I need info on MIG 25 Foxbat?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 AM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need info on MIG 25 Foxbat?

ORIGINAL: watt_the!

Another option maybe even to consider electric D/F as current technology is even more powerful than the glow powered systems

umm, i wish. unfortunately lipo tech is still a long way off glow/ic powered systems and i'm certain that as long as RCers climb over each other to get so called "high c" lipos the technology wont advance too fast either.

we're in a bit of a catch 22 where lipos are the best weight/energy cell choice and high C lipos drive down the price of low C lipos but the demand for high C means low C packs are becoming difficult to get.

you might have a case for paralleling up low C lipos as they work out alot cheaper and deliver the same performance at much lower weight than the high C lipos. But economics is basic supply and demand ad the public get woo'd by this "high C" label- also at the expense of low numbers of battery cycles...sigh.

anyways, the weight trade off, cost of electrics etc is still miles behind even ICDF for big power. I dont recall exactly but a single dynamax/os90 setup runs at about $400US or so, plus about 2lb of fuel/tanks etc. so without any research i'd guess 6-7 lb of ICDF total for 12-13lb thrust..per fan/engine combo.

To get that from an electric youd be looking at about 2-2.5kW which is about 28 x 2500mah cells depending on what motor etc you use..maybe say a 8S8000mah pack to get 4-6 mins flight. A standard 8S8000mah lipo weighs about 1.3kg (3lb) and will cost you around $700US.

add in the high voltage ESC and the motor and allow for another $300US...at least

so the electric route is going to cost at least $1kUS per motor setup- without the fan unit.

e rc has a long way to go yet.

and this is april 2008.

Well sorry to disagree but in my opinion EDF is still a very viable "option" to glow D/F power for .90 size D/F model designed airframes. Yes cost is another factor of that there is no doubt but as far as the performance advantages go!!..... 20 lb thrust from such units as the new EVF 6215 or 6416 is hard to ignor. One thing for sure its nice to have more options nowadays anyway

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/electric.html