RCU Forums - View Single Post - For sale adds
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For sale adds

I guess I'm one of those people who drive you nuts. I have never had a problem making low offers on stuff. And I would happily low-ball you to your face at a swap. In some cases it's the only way I can afford some of the things in this hobby. People wouldn't make the offers if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes someone says "yes". Sometimes you'll find that a person just wants to unload an item quickly so that they don't have to deal with it anymore and they'll let it go cheap. And don't forget, you can always say no. Lowball offers are the price you pay for selling in a public setting. If your getting angry or offended, your taking things way too seriously. Don't let it get to you, I doubt anyone is trying to insult you personally.
Now, just so you know how I handle things when I'm buying or selling, Here's the guidlines I use both online and at swaps.
1. All items have 3 prices:What it's worth, what the seller wants for it, what the buyer will give for it. Please note that these often have little or nothing to do with each other.
2. The price on the tag is a starting point. If I'm selling something, I always price higher than what I really want. Sometimes you get the extra money, sometimes you get talked down below what you wanted for it.
3. There is no such thing as an "insulting" offer. Since the seller has final control whether they sell or not, they can simply say no to any offer they find unacceptable. If your getting offended, your not likely to be someone who I want to deal with anyway.

I just had someone buy a plane from me at Toledo. I gave them a ridiculously good deal, mostly because I didn't know what kit the plane was or if/how well the engine ran. Once I finished getting setup, I went around the swap and low and behold there was my plane with a fresh tag on it for more than three times the amount I had sold it to the guy for. Turned out he knew what kit it was and it was rather rare. And yes , I was mad for a minute or two, then I realized I could have said no. So I joked with the guy about it for a couple minutes and let it go.
I know I'll likely get flamed for this as most of the previous posts are going the other way in this thread, but that's fine. Sorry for the length of this.